My culinary tales

Hi All

It has been a really really long time that i wrote a blog. Amidst my packed schedule i find little time to write about things that i am passionate about. I am a true blue foodie, trying new recipes, experimenting with new ingredients,reading on food and even working with food ( in a food testing lab). It is always very exciting to talk about food and I have always felt that food binds us all and creates passionate and long lasting bond with people who share similar as well as diverse interest in food. I am yet to meet someone who is not interested in food, everyone is a avid foodie around me, be it my family, friends or colleagues.

I belong to a Muslim family from Mysore and having grown up in a close knit joint family, food was and still is a very integral part of our lives. We grew up with splendid aromas of traditional muslim cuisine and food was always a focal point - be it EID, Birthdays or religious ceremonies.

My interest in food dates back to the time when i was in class six. I learnt to cook from my aunts and my amma ( Maternal grand mom- who was an awesome cook). My initial experiments were, as with many learners, quite disastrous. As i was fascinated with trying new recipes, i learned to cook,started collecting recipe books, took notes of recipes from my amma, my aunts and from the tv shows.All this helped me form a strong and lasting bond with food

I also learnt that the best ingredient in a recipe is "love" and if you cook food with a lot of love, the dish will taste awesome.

As i write this post on a lazy Sunday afternoon, i feel nostalgic and happy to share the secrets of my culinary journey. I will in a series of posts talk about Muslim food, the magic masala's and the long kept family food secrets. I will also write briefly about my favourite ingredients and spices.


Before logging off, i am posting my recipe of grilled chicken. It is a simple, no-fuss yet delicious recipe. I am sure you will love it.

Grilled chicken
1 whole chicken( Approx 1 kg)- cleaned

Marinate
Refined vegetable oil - 1/4 cup
Red chilli powder ( i prefer Everest Tikhalal for colour and flavour) - 4-6 tsp
Garam Masala powder - 1 tsp
Kabab Masala - 2 tsp
Vinegar - 2 tablespoon
Salt to taste


Mix all the ingredients with oil in a bowl to form a smooth paste.

Place chicken in a tray and rub the marinate over the chicken until the whole bird is well covered with the masala.

Cover with foil and marinate overnight in a refrigerator.

Pre-heat over to 180 deg C. Place chicken in a hot grill for 45 mins.

Lo!! Yummy grilled chicken is ready to serve. Garnish with finely chopped cabbage, onions, cabbage sticks and lemon wedges.

Happy Eating :-)

Ayesha

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ballar aur Murghi ka Korma

Bhaji ka Chaar

Ande Ka Chaar - Plain n Simple Egg Curry ( Muslim Style)